Monday, March 14, 2005

For all those Lurkers out there...Try this for me.

I know that many people have suggested this, but it is a good idea anyhow. To get a taste of what it is like for the LGBT community, for at least ONE day, do NOT speak about your hetero-partner in terms of "husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend," etc. Instead, cut them out of your day-to-day life. They are now your "partner, roommate, friend," etc. Don't show overt affection to them in public places, remember, that kind of thing may get you beat within an inch of your life. If you want to go for a week or so it will really give you an idea, but at least try it. Just for a day. Think about how much they mean to you, and think about never being able to say that to people until you have "sounded them out" until you KNOW that they are "friendly." Even if you are between relationships, create a "dummy" partner. maybe just use a really good friend. I just want you to know how it feels when I am walking through the supermarket and my girlfriend won't hold my hand because she has seen someone that makes her uncomfortable. I just want you to know how it feels when I can't talk to my own mother because she is not comfortable with details that she would rush to hear were I straight. I just want you to KNOW. But above all, I just want you to know that I thank you for trying.